I am on day two of my birthday hangover. I turned 32 this weekend and despite my best efforts to the contrary I am still around. Forty is looking a lot closer than 20 now and I have decided I might benefit from taking stock in where I am these days…kind of like a self-help seminar, but without all the crying…well maybe a little crying:
- I live within a double haul of my all time favorite southern trout water with my wife and son who neither of which know how to double haul…yet. (The boy is only one but I still don’t think that’s a good enough excuse…laziness if you ask me.)
- I used to make a lot of money doing something I really didn’t like that much. Now I make very little money doing something I love.
- I am about to start a magazine with no experience other than reading them on the crapper.
- I have a bunch of good friends both fly and not so fly.
- I have all my hair…but I have more hair in weird places.
- I don’t smell old…but I often smell bad.
- I can still tie a size 26 midge…but I can no longer tie on a weeklong bender.
- I am not as old as Steve (Art Director Steve…you know the one I’m talking about…the really old one)
- I am on the water more now than in all my twenties combined…but I have to pee a lot more.
Till now I never realized how much I needed a hug.